Tuesday, 28 June 2011

Feeling Fancy

Last Friday, I met up with my friend Poline for cocktails. I figured that the affair would be a classy one (as she is one fancy lady)…so I dressed up in my nicest dress and even wore my espadrilles for the first time in India. She had her driver pick me up at my door (royal treatment!) where I met her, her husband Heath, and her friends Rosie and Chance. From there, we swerved through traffic until we reached the Taj West End Hotel. Doesn’t the name of it just sound fancy? And it truly is a beauty. We walked through a small garden with views of the hotel, lit up in its five star glory, and came to the Blue Ginger (the hotel’s bar). As we walked up the stairs, I felt like a celebrity. Journalists were snapping photos, the owners shook our hands and welcomed us, and men looking more dapper than anyone I’ve seen in India to date walked around with appetizers on silver platters. I could seriously get used to that.

In all reality though, it really makes you realize the stark contrast between the rich and poor in this country. There is a mall near my firm called UB City. (I've mentioned it a few times I think). It's massive and has stores like Diesle, Jimmy Choo, Lois Vuitton, and other really really high end places that I don't even feel comfortable stepping foot in. I asked someone the other day, "Who can afford this stuff?!" And she simply replied, "You just have to realize how rich some Indians are." And when I say rich, I mean rich by American standards. And then, you have people living on practically nothing.

That gap between classes has become shockingly blatent on this trip. In Delhi, I would see people begging and massive slums on a regular basis, but in Bangalore, there is more of a cosmopolitan vibe. I've only seen a handful of beggars coming up to the cars, and the slums are nothing by comparison. (However, I should mention...I'm talking about the city center...not outside of Bangalore). So, it seems strange to me that HERE is where I would really understand how prevalent that gap really is. But I think that being surrounded by the richer end of India (working in a big corporate law firm, living with a rich family, going to five star hotels with social networkers like Polina) is like a slap in the face to how bad others have it here.

Okay, so this entry sort of turned south on the whole "feeling fancy" vibe. And I truly didn't intend it to. I want to say that I think it is great that there are cities like Bangalore in India (I hear Mumbai is similar...but on a larger scale). It is great for the economy, and makes the experience living here truly pleasant...and fun! I just think it is important to make these kind of observations, and not lose sight of reality. You know?!

Okay, that's enough of that.

Peace. Love. and Happy to Feel Fancy.

No comments: